This practical course focuses on the skills needed to effectively manage both print and digital editorial projects. Using in-depth case study examples, it will walk you through the practical tasks required for the job. It also provides tips and guidance on managing everyday issues, drawing on digital project management strategies and solutions where applicable.
By the end of the course, you will have gained skills and knowledge that you can utilise immediately. There is also a range of generic checklists to take away and use as tools in the future.
At the end of this course, you should be able to:
- assess the scope, needs and risks of an editorial project
- accurately estimate timings to produce a detailed and reliable schedule
- create and maintain the project budget to ensure profitability
- effectively manage and communicate with your team and other stakeholders.
This course contributes to PUB 22 of the Book & Journal Publishing National Occupational Standards.
Who will benefit from this course?
Editors, desk editors, project editors, production editors and managing editors who are responsible for the management of complete editorial projects.
- The role of the editorial project manager
- Tasks and skills
- Print and digital workflow
- Understanding the project
- Determine goals and objectives
- Determine requirements
- Determine resources
- Assess risks
- Examining the content
- Assess structure and use of language
- Calculate extent of main text and features
- Consider format and digital blend
- Review multimedia and functionality
- Efficiency and critical path
- Estimating time the Agile way
- Scheduling tools and tips
- Determining the costs
- Assessing profitability
- Planning contingency
- Keeping to budget
- Managing the team
- Putting an effective team together
- Communicating effectively
- Creating briefs
- Working with freelancers
- Negotiating fees.
Note that most of our short courses can also be run as In-Company events.
- Dates: 01 June 2015, 28 September 2015
- Duration: A two-day course
- Price: £795+VAT
- A number of discounts are available