This practical course is based on real case studies and, where possible and appropriate, will focus on the everyday issues and problems that you encounter in your editorial project management work. At the end of the two days, you will leave with some immediately applicable solutions and strategies. There will also be a range of more generic checklists to take away and use as tools in the future. Please note that this course has a strong print focus.
At the end of this course you should be able to:
- evaluate and successfully plan editorial projects
- produce a range of publications to the agreed specification, within budget, on time and at the right quality
- recognise how and where things can go wrong, and how to prevent this.
This course contributes to PUB 22 of the Book & Journal Publishing National Occupational Standards.
Who will benefit from this course?
Editors, desk editors, project editors, production editors and managing editors who are responsible for the management of complete editorial projects.
- How to evaluate the resources required for successful delivery
- Sticking to the specification
- Being clear about what the specification should cover
- Who is responsible for doing the work and for bearing the cost?
- Effective briefing
- Working with authors, editors, designers and production – in-house and freelance
- Being aware of the implications of change, especially for budgets
- Sticking to the budget
- Overview of basic costing and gross margin calculations
- Impact of changes to fixed costs on gross margin
- Negotiating fees
- Cost vs time dilemmas
- Sticking to the schedule
- Creating workable schedules
- Progress chasing – systems and tools
- Managing workloads
- Scheduling work from authors, editors, designers and production
- Ensuring quality
- Why feedback is important and how to deliver it
- Troubleshooting session on specific problems.
Note that most of our short courses can also be run as In-Company events.
- Dates: 25 September 2014
- Duration: A two-day course
- Price: £755+VAT
- A number of discounts are available